Although I do a lot of cooking I am very bad at making Sri Lankan food. Now I am not lazy but it takes a lot of effort and time to make Sri Lankan food. However, my mother is a great cook and insisted that I learnt how to make at least one dish. She taught me how to make classic Sri Lankan yellow rice with cutlets.
Now this was a process that was going to take forever. But I wanted to give it a shot.
Ingredients that I will need for yellow rice
- Small onions finely shopped
- Pandan leaves
- curry leaves
Ingredients for cutlets
- Canned Sardins
- Mint leaves
- panic bread crumb or just bread crumbs that you use to fry
These are all the ingredients that you will need
- the first step is to make sure that you smash the cardoon, cinnamon and cloves
- secondly you will put a tbs of butter and add in the spices
- then you will add in the pandan leaves and saute it in the rice cooker itself
- then you will add the well rinsed rice into the butter and spice mixture and let it saute in well before you add the turmeric in
- then you will let it saute in until the cooker turns off
- then you will restart the cooker and add coconut milk into it
- In coconut milk the rice does not fully cook in one go. you will no to reset the cooker again and re do it 2 times before the rice is ready.
For the cutlets
- you will start off by frying the garlic and onion
- then you will add the sardins
- then you will add the built mashed potato
- you will add paper, salt and mint and mix it all well
- then you will add some lime to really bring the flavors together.
- lastly, just make them into small balls
- add them into flour, egg wash and crumb it with the bread crumbs and fry it
Overall, this dish caught me that Sri Lankan food is not easy to make, at all! and the cleaning process takes forever. However, I am so glad that I did this and learnt how to make a Sri Lankan dish really made me proud. Also the whole house smells so amazing with all the spices that’s been added to the rice. You should 100% try it out.