As a leader of the housing and habitat service group at OSC, the homerun event was the first time for our service to properly function, together and for DP 1s to lead the group to a successfull event. Ive already made some posts about the planning of the event so this will strictly be on the actual outcome of the event.
All things considered, this event was a success, it proved that despite an almost complete lack of experience in the event, we could still pull it off, and get enough money to fund our future projects. The day of the event, most of us woke up at around 5:30, to be at school at 6:30, which in itself is an accomplisment; getting 20 teenagers to get up for free is no easy work. Besides that, we already had everything organised thanks to the efforts of the DP1s in the combined group (Nik, Diyath, Liam, Arvin, Yangki, and myself) so logistically the only difficult thing was getting people to where they had to be.
After getting gathered, the first half of the group was herded into the van and dropped off at their designated spots. My role as the man in the van was getting people to their spots and telling them what to do as I had done the course with Mr Leblanc and Nik a couple days before in preparation. I also had the duty of making sure everyone was comfortable and more importantly safe, within close distance of other people and not in a heavily trafficked spot or somthing. After the van got back from picking up the rest of the people, we carried on the route, dropping everyone off before heading back, following the last person in the event and picking up/cleaning up the groups as we went. Luckily, we learned that only one person got lost which we took as a success.
Our learning outcomes that were achevied was first of all showing the initiation to actually plan a successful event. Another key learning outcome was collaboration. As I said, the event was a collaboration between Housing and Habitat and Care for Paws, and to highlight this we tried to pair people up with partners from the other service group, in order to establish new freindships and whatnot. The event as a whole was a demonstration of undertaking new challenges, and persevering in doing so. During the planning of the event we came across a bunch of little annoyances that reduced our productivity, such as limited working days as a group, problems with the route, planning for rain, manpower etc, but in the end, with only a small bit of improvisation, we pulled off a successful event and reached our goal, which will enable us to help a local school by furnishing and providing basic infrastructure in the near future.